The city of Jacksonville is situated in northeastern Florida, US, where the St John’s River flows into the Atlantic Ocean. As a regional business center, much of the city is urban, but there are wildlife and nature reserves for nature lovers. The city offers many cultural interests ranging from history museums to art and science centers. The historic residential neighborhoods in Jacksonville offer interesting information about the city.
Jacksonville is where stunning natural beauty meets unassuming metropolitan style capturing the essence of landscape and lifestyle that reflects the real Florida. Jacksonville, or “Jax” as it is fondly called by the locals, is easily accessible by road or air with the Jacksonville Airport situated just 18.8km from the city center. The popular Jacksonville Landing Entertainment Complex is situated along the St. John’s River all the way to the Bronson Motor Speedway.
The warm water and soft sand on the city’s beaches are perfect for surfing, swimming, and kayaking. The popular barrier island beaches like Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach are very popular with surfers and swimmers alike, as well as for family outings. Jacksonville has many exceptional golf courses for golfing enthusiasts, the most impressive being TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, a championship golf course, and headquarters of the PGA Tour.
Discover hidden treasures in the heart of the city with unique shopping and numerous options for fine dining, or enjoy the endless stretches of pristine beaches in year-round moderate temperatures. Jacksonville is home to several national and internal sports events such as the PGA Tour and annual festivals for the entertainment of the local population and visitors.
Top rated restaurants in Jacksonville include:
- The French Pantry – hands down the best restaurant for lunch with its rustic atmosphere and counter service. Warm crusty French bread served with olive oil is brought to your table before your order is taken. The menu features great French favorites like goat’s cheese and shrimp salad with bruschetta and deserts to die for. Get there early to avoid a long wait.
- Terra Gaucha Brazilian Steakhouse and Restaurant – pricey but worth it as everything is super fresh from the salad to the fruit on the lunchtime salad bar. But it’s the steak that Terra Gaucha is most popular for with high quality matured beef and the best Brazilian churrasco ever.
- Restaurant Orsay – the best French restaurant in Jacksonville worthy of a Michelin star. Famous for its Deviled Eggs, fresh oysters, and Lobster Mac’n’Cheese, all served with the best French bread. The deserts are fabulous and include the popular Vanilla Bean Crème Brulee, the best way to end a fantastic dining experience.
Exciting Things to do in Jacksonville, FL
The Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary
Big cats, night feeding, and volunteer staff describe the Catty Shack perfectly. Wonderfully dedicated wildlife staff work wonders with the rehabilitation of the animals and 100% of the donations go to looking after the rescued cats. There are many fun things to do, but mainly it is just marvelous to see these beautiful wild animals and learn about the difference that this wildlife sanctuary is making in the lives of endangered cats.
The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens
Visit the Cummer Museum with its impressive art collection or enjoy the beautiful grounds with interesting exhibitions and sketchings. Although the gardens have largely been destroyed by the recent flood from Irma, the sketch collection and exhibitions have been saved and a lot of work is being done to recover from the damage and restore the grounds.
The Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
Enjoy a fun family outing at the zoo in Jacksonville and view the many unusual animals and a wide range of bird life. Take a train ride instead of walking and watch interesting 3D videos or feed the Stingrays and watch several different animal shows. The friendly zoo staff members are all willing to interact with visitors and answer any questions about the animals in the zoo.
The most popular hotels in Jacksonville are:
- Hotel Indigo Jacksonville Deerwood Park for a romantic outing.
- Hampton Hill Jacksonville South is great for a family holiday.
- Hampton Inn and Suites at Jacksonville Airport is the best value for money.
Get to know Jacksonville where Florida begins with its Southern culture, river atmosphere, cosmopolitan city life, and distinguished cuisine.